Travel Insurance to Europe with pre existing medical conditions

It is extremely important that you ensure that you have a comprehensive medical travel insurance policy, that includes any existing medical conditions, when you go on holiday in Europe.

Even if you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), this does not mean you are fully covered and should still take out medical travel insurance for travelling in Europe. This is based on official guidance from the FCO.


An EHIC does not mean you are insured. Meaning that there are restrictions on the treatment available with an EHIC:

Few EU countries pay the full cost of medical treatment, even under the European Union’s healthcare arrangements. You still need sufficient travel insurance to cover healthcare costs.

In some countries, like Greece, the health service only covers medical treatment, and will not extend to feeding and personal care. But if you have travel insurance, this part of your healthcare will be covered by your travel insurance.

If you need an air ambulance home or you can’t travel home on your booked ticket, you could still face a large bill. Just a simple broken ankle, for example, can often mean a medical escort home (usually required by the airline in case of complications in flight) and a first class seat for extra leg room.

You may not be covered if you need extra accommodation to stay with a sick relative.

Healthcare costs are rising in Europe so ensuring you have adequate medical travel insurance for European travel is more important than ever. Insure Direct can give you access to providers of medical travel insurance for Europe, so you can travel with complete peace of mind.

Get An Online Quote for Travel Insurance to Europe with pre existing medical conditions


Phone 01592 640011

Travel Insurance

Our specialist travel insurance products are ideal for those with existing medical conditions.

Click Here

Motor Insurance

Find out more about specialist motor insurance policies from

Click Here

Home Insurance

A range of specialist home insurance such as let property and unoccupied property insurance.

Click Here

Commercial Insurance

A range of specialist commercial insurance policies idea for landlords and international businesses

Click Here

Other Insurance

A range of specialist insurance policies for people with really specialised insurance needs

Click Here

Pet Insurance

A range of pet insurance policies from vintage horses to cats and dogs to give you piece of mind.

Click Here


"I have been using for over 8 years now and think all they are so helpful and efficient, I have used them for car insurance and home and travel, never had a problem, service with a smile." Mr Kerr, London